Tuesday, July 28, 2009

New Home Construction...

Good evening....it's after midnight. Jonathan has been gone for 14 days. He is due to return tomorrow afternoon so, like the little kid in the Disney commercial - "I'm too excited to sleep!"

I have been preparing for the Acts 29 Houston Bootcamp and came across this quote from C.S. Lewis...I just had to share it.

"Imagine yourself living in a house.
God comes in to rebuild that house.
At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on. But presently He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make any sense.
What on Earth is He up to?
The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of - throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra florr there, running up towers, making courtyards.
You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage;
but He is building a palace."

How fun is this!!??!!

I have been reflecting a lot lately - duh, I've got a blog now - and this quote pretty much sums up what's been running through my mind. After such a crazy 18 months, I am now able to see so much progress and growth in my own heart that I'm almost thankful for that painful season. (I said "almost" so please don't expect too much from me too soon! wink.) I am beginning to see alot of what Lewis is talking about.....I am learning to sit quietly, to listen, and to pray in ways that before have been unknown to me. What a blessing. If it takes tears to produce true joy, put me in that house!

If you're a pastor's wife, I hope you'll take 1 of 2 actions after reading this Lewis quote:
1. If your house is currently "under massive construction", I pray that you will find...actually SEEK OUT, a woman who is trustworthy to share your experience. You need the strength of another when you're all out of your own.

2. If your house is getting a reprieve (and I'm sure it's only momentary), please take the time to reflect and rejoice. Recount to the Lord the amazing things He has done in your life and your heart. Then, please take the time to encourage and pray with someone 'under construction.' We need each other, don't we. ? .

"Look among the nations, and watch; and be utterly amazed.
For I am doing something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told." Habakkuk 1:5

I'm so excited at this thought - whatever we're going through, something awesome IS happening...not just in our churches, but in US! Yay!


(Sorry, the book I'm reading didn't reference which Lewis book the quote is from...if you know, please share!)

2 comments:

  1. love this quote. i've read it before but don't recall where.

    and to answer your question: major construction. of the sort that completely mystifies and nearly paralyzes. but remodeling never lasts forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know if you'll have time to get together while in Houston. Would love to see you again!

    ReplyDelete